My Favorite Books as a Kid

     Hello all! Welcome back to Grace Iolene. Today I'm going to be talking about some of my favorite books as a kid. I still enjoy several of these series, but I haven't read others in several years. 


     The first series that I remember reading and loving (I read these books over and over again) is called The Littles. It's about a family of small humans who have tails. They went on all sorts of adventures.

     I remember being the most fascinated about how tall they were and how they used simple items that were human-sized to work for them. Like using buttons for plates, or finding tiny bits of turkey that they could make into soup or something like that.

     There was a little thing that used to hang out of our air vent in our room (I actually think it's still there) and I remember thinking that maybe the Littles would come out of there at night and take things from my room. XD

     The second series I remember really liking is the Elsie Dinsmore series, except I first read an abridged version of it. When I discovered there were more books, I was so excited.

     In total, there are twenty-eight original Elsie Dinsmore books. Some are a little slower paced than others, but in general, the plot is really good. Just don't expect some sort of action-packed book. :)

     Next up on the list is the Anne of Green Gables series. Obviously, the original Anne of Green Gables is a classic that I think every child should read. Not only is it very entertaining (Anne smacking Gilbert over the head with a slate, anyone?), but who can help but fall in love with Anne and Matthew and all the other characters?

     And also, you need to read the whole series. While the first book probably is my favorite, there are seven other books in the series to enjoy. That's really nice when you tear through books at a breakneck speed and constantly need new reading fodder (like me).

     L. M. Montgomery also wrote three books in an Emily series (I that's what you're supposed to call it) about a character named - you guessed it - Emily. They're very similar to the Anne of Green Gables series, and I would definitely recommend them. :)


     Next up on my list is a series of comics called Tintin. They're about a guy named Tintin (who only seems to be in his very early twenties... he seems pretty young) who gets pulled into all sorts of adventures. I'm tempted to say he's a detective because he sorta acts like one, but he isn't an official detective.

     I really enjoyed these books (I think there are seven or eight books, each with three short stories in them). They were a super fun, easy read.

     Last, but not least, is a book series that literally inspired me to start writing (at least to start writing with any seriousness). Mom assigned me Redwall as a school book, and I loved it. When I discovered there were twenty-one other books in the series I was elated. I started collecting them (I still don't have all of them, but I do own most of them) and reading them at probably an alarming rate.

     The books mainly follow an Abbey called Redwall Abbey (who would've guessed, right?) and the surrounding regions and characters. In almost every one there is some sort of riddle that the characters have to solve in order to complete their mission or save some other animal, etc. 

     Those riddles are probably one of my favorite parts - they are so complicated but make so much sense when they're solved. I'm in awe of the author for coming up with them.

     A few of my favorites in the series include Triss, The Taggerung, Rakkety Tam, and High Rhulian. Not at all surprisingly, the main characters in those books are either squirrels or otters, which are my two favorite types of animals in the series. XD

     So that's about it for today! Thanks for reading, and be sure to let me know if you had any books that you remember liking as a child. 

What were some of your favorite childhood books? Have you read any of the ones I mentioned?

Comments